Wednesday, May 30, 2012

On bad backs, two-year-olds and empathy...

Friday Jeff's back went haywire. Like pinched nerve, can't walk, crying out in agony sort of haywire. Long story short he ended up at home by mid-afternoon. I was about to leave to run an errand. He assured me that if he and Landon were in one location and they didn't have to move the entire time I was gone I could leave Landon at home.


So I set them up on our bed. Jeff surrounded by pillows, having taken his medication, water handy and our essential oil diffuser letting off a relaxing scent. Landon had his DVD player with a movie and blanket. 


And I made them popcorn to snack on. Wouldn't want anyone to starve in the short amount of time I would be gone. 


With some trepidation I left them. I didn't need to worry. Landon, it turns out, is quite the care-giver. They say that two-year-olds don't have a lot of empathy. Which I believe. But when it comes to his best friend dad? Empathy he had!


Jeff said he was so well-behaved. And he kept shoving handfuls of popcorn into Jeff's mouth. So helpful!


And then when I got back and joined them Landon talked about daddies owie and then ...


Offered up Bear to comfort Jeff.


Bear. That is Landon's ultimate comfort, and he doesn't let just anyone hold him let alone hand him over to them. But he understood dad needed comfort. So he sacrificed his own comfort to give dad some. 


Who says two-year-olds don't get it?


And since this post is all about my two boys and the buddies they are I had to share these: 




1 comment:

Jake and Megan said...

Oh what a sweet little boy you have! Love the pics - so cute!