Monday, November 29, 2010
That night Ale spent the night at our house so Jeff and I could do some early morning (crazy) Black Friday shopping. We were at Target at 3:45! There were two HUGE lines - one from each door that wrapped around the entire parking lot (so clearly there were a lot of people more dedicated that we were!). Jeff had to park in another parking lot and meet me in line. As soon as the doors opened people started running ... it was a madhouse. Luckily there were a lot of security people there to make sure no one cut in line. Once we got in it was crazy! Carts should not be allowed on Black Friday - people are seriously vicious. We got both things we went for, which was great! We wanted an external hard-drive (for Christmas) to back up our pictures and we got one!! And Landon's "big" Christmas present was 50% off as well there!! We were pretty proud of ourselves! And we even got home in time to sleep a little more before Landon woke up!
Landon had a cold all weekend - it was quite sad! And apparently Benadryl doesn't sit well on his tummy. We had our first real throwing up experience with him. And if you know me ... you'll know how traumatizing that is. Seriously if I know someone doesn't feel well I will avoid them like the plague (so if that is ever you please don't take it offensively!) and to have him sitting on my lap throwing up about sent me over the edge. But luckily we both survived! Apparently it was just the medicine, because he was so happy after ... he took a bath and then he drank another full bottle! And then went to sleep for the night as if nothing happened.
The rest of the weekend we had Jeff's parents in town for a visit! It was fun to have them up to spend time with us and with Landon. Landon was really happy to show off for them and to watch football (seriously he actually watches it) with them. We were so happy and thankful(!) to spend our weekend with so much family!
Monday, November 22, 2010
Thursday, November 18, 2010
I'll start at the beginning ... a couple of months ago I applied to throw a House Party. If you don't know what they are you can check them out at: www.houseparty.com. Basically companies are marketing their products through consumers who apply to host a "party" for friends and give out/demonstrate their product. There isn't actually any selling per se just fun, coupons and free stuff (it's pretty sweet). I was selected to host a Gerber Generations party and set the date for today.
Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago when Jeff found out he had to get 6 crowns done. Today. Well, we knew he would be sedated, but neither of us really pictured how today would go so he insisted that I still host the party since changing it would be a pain and we arranged for my mom to pick him up after he finished.
I assumed he would be about as loopy as he was when I dropped him off. Totally able to walk, but saying silly things and talking about how he could see double and then laughing like a kid when it turned out what he was looking at was really just one of something. It was a pretty amusing drive to the dentist :)!
I just figured he come home the same way and head upstairs to take a nap ... right? Wrong. My mom went to pick him up ... and almost literally had to pick him up. It took the dentist and her to get him into the car. He was chatting like a 6 year old to her on the way home (he has NO recollection of anything ... which really makes me wish I had the foresight to video this and post it on youtube ... he had some awesome lines).
The party was in full force when they got to our house ... but luckily we were up at the playground so no one witnessed any of this! After giving Jeff strict instructions to stay in the car (she was worried he would fall) my mom tracked me down. I was still in la-la land of what I thought he would be like so I just assumed she was coming to let me know he had put himself in bed. Wrong again.
It took both of us (and a nice party-attending neighbor holding Landon) to get him up the stairs and into bed. By this time the party migrated back to our house. So my mom took over grandma duties and stayed with my guests so I could finish getting a VERY out-of-it Jeff settled. The whole time I felt terrible! I felt like I was rushing to help Jeff to get back to my guests ... but neglecting him by doing so!
After another hour or so of chaos things started to calm down a bit. Jeff was sleeping peacefully, Landon went down for a good afternoon nap, and happy guests (at least they claimed they had fun ... I've never thrown anything kid-focused so I really have no idea how it went) were on their way home with goody bags and full stomachs.
As he woke up intermittently Jeff and I continued to have the same conversations off and on throughout the rest of the day. What time did he get home? What really happened when he was there? And most importantly: Did the dentist gave him a free toothbrush (when I told him no, Jeff gave a few colorful responses ... because naturally he asked this question multiple times. He must have really wanted that toothbrush is all I have to say!)? And when I complimented his new teeth he asked "Do I look skinnier?"
And his best line of all "I peed my pants!" said like a proud 6-year-old. He was correct ... he did ... which is typical for the type of sedation he was under. But wow ... was he proud!
Again, there were a lot of great lines, but most of them were a bit too colorful for this blog (apparently that stuff really loosens the tongue!).
Then I had to be the bearer of bad news. All this was just to put the temps in. He has to go back in 2 weeks to have the real ones set.
Really?! This was actually news to me too (it is a good thing I called the office when things quieted down ... I found out a lot of useful info!).
And I can assure you when Jeff found out it wasn't pretty. Pretty funny though :)!
All in all we survived ... and it leads me to the next three things I am VERY thankful for today.
31. My mom. She was the hero of the day! She did so, so much for all three of us ... and then she made sure we were okay the rest of the day. She offered to pick up Jeff's prescriptions, etc. and we had some great laughs about what Jeff said :)! And to top it off she is coming to babysit Landon AND Jeff tomorrow while I am at work.
32. Naptime. It was a sanity saver today ... for me and for both my boys!
33. Our dentist. He seriously has to be one of the nicest people I have ever met. Jeff isn't super nice to dentists and it doesn't even seem to phase this guy. He actually called Jeff at the end of his work day today to check on him and give him his cell phone number just in case he needs anything over the weekend. That is priceless in my book. So if you need a good dentist in the area Dr. Griffiths at Mapleton Family Dentistry is amazing!
Saturday, November 13, 2010
And that I get to snuggle with him! I'm one lucky mama!
I am also so, so thankful for Jeff. I know I technically listed both of these guys once on my list already. But I figure you can never be too thankful for the main men in your life!
Can you blame me?
These are from our family picture shoot. You know ... the one where it was pouring rain so we canceled the actual photographer and took some ourselves. My dad and Ale took turns taking pictures and they both do a pretty good job for being self-taught. We even got one of all of us using the tri-pod!
Another one I just love...
Thursday, November 11, 2010
26. Our freedom. What we have is priceless.
27. Our troops - there are so many brave men and women who put aside their own lives to go out and defend our nation and keep us safe. So often they go unrecognized - let's take today to recognize them and keep them in our prayers. This hits home in particular today for our family - my cousin is in Afghanistan right now - we are so proud of him!
28. Our boy scouts. They get up early in the morning and put flags in our yards to help us be a little more patriotic on these special holidays. I love looking out our front window and seeing the stars and stripes proudly flying.
Wednesday, November 10, 2010
Everyone seemed to have a good time ... and so did we! (Don't mind the pic ... James was our photographer :)!)
And to add to my thankful list:
19. A warm home. Especially at this chilly time of year.
20. Food on our table ... and the ability to know when our next meal is.
21. The library (I am stealing this off my friend Missy's blog because it is so true!). A place to check out free books? Um, hello ... genius!
22. Fresh drinking water. My friend Tamsin did a spotlight on how little clean drinking water there is in the world, the fact that we have it ... priceless!
23. Parties. This might seem really silly and insignificant to some people. But I LOVE to throw parties. Someday, if we live in an appropriate area, I would love to do it professionally. But for now I just love to get our friends together!
24. Our cars. They get us just where we need to go safely. Again, it's those little things that sometimes I think we take for granted.
25. A great pediatrician. He is honest, kind and Landon and I both like him. I think a good one is hard to find ... and something to hold on to!
Sunday, November 7, 2010
He actually kept posing for us when we tried to take these! What a goof-ball!
In other unrelated news I wanted to add a few things to my thankful list ...
12. Date night! I LOVE going out just Jeff and I (or with friends) ... it reminds us why we got together in the first place, and let's us let loose and have fun. And I have a firm belief that us going out is good for Landon too.
13. Sippy cups! Seriously ... hours of fun for Landon. Who knew?
14. The fact that Landon is a great eater (I'm pretty sure that is obvious from all his pictures). But I always rest easy knowing he has eaten enough to fill him up :)
15. But on a similar track ... I am also very grateful that Landon is eating less formula overall! Wow ... that stuff is like liquid gold!
16. The park. We have so many really cool ones close to us. We spent 2 hours yesterday walking around (or being strolled eating a leaf), playing on the swings (no matter what Jeff says I was totally higher than he was), and having a picnic. Thank goodness for these parts of our city!
17. Sunday Family Dinner. We don't do it every Sunday, but most. And it's fun ... and crazy ... and usually really, really loud. But it's family ... and there is always good food!
18. Chocolate. Do I even need to explain that one?
Friday, November 5, 2010
Then on my way to the grocery store I heard Blessed by Martina McBride (a personal fave). I bolded the chorus for you.
I get kissed by the sun
Put my feet on a hardwood floor
I get to hear my children laughing
Down the hall through the
Sometimes I sit on my
Front porch swing
Just soaking up the day
I think to myself, I think to myself
This world is a beautiful place
I have been blessed
And I feel like I’ve found my way
I thank God for all I’ve been given
At the end of every day
I have been blessed
With so much more than I deserve
To be here with the ones
That love me
To love them so much it hurts
I have been blessed
Across a crowded room,
I know you know what I’m thinking
By the way I look at you
And when we’re lying in the quiet and
No words have to be said
I think to myself, I think to myself
This love is a beautiful gift
When I’m singing my kids to sleep
When I feel you holding me
Hearing it made me smile. Then, in the checkout line the cashier and I were chatting. She gave me the sale price on an item because they were cheaper at Smith's and she figured she would pass that info along and said "you know, everyone could use a little help these days." I thought that was so sweet! The .40 or so didn't made a big difference to my grocery total, but her wanting to help everyone she could inspired me and made my day.
And I'll be honest. I am not often inspired while at Wal-Mart.
Generally I make one huge list of things I am thankful for in the month of November. And I still am going to ... but in smaller groups.
1. My wonderful, sweet husband who is my best friend.
2. The sweetest baby in the entire world. He makes me feel like my heart is walking (okay more like scooting and bouncing currently) outside my body.
3. A wonderful family who is so willing to be there for us.
4. Jeff's family - they are also so wonderful.
5. The gospel. We are very blessed to have it in our lives.
6. Friends. We have so many who care about us and are there for us no matter what.
7. Jobs - I feel so blessed in this economy for us to both have our jobs.
8. Eternal Families - knowing we can be one comforts me more than you know.
9. Book Club. These ladies make my month brighter. I love to read and to share that passion with others makes me really happy!
10. The sunshine! I am looking outside right now thinking about how gorgeous this world is!
11. The Wal-Mart cashier.
That is all for now. But I am going to leave with the these words again "you know, everyone could use a little help these days" and challenge you to ask yourself ... who could use my help today?
Monday, November 1, 2010
We got invited to a Halloween party in the neighborhood. Landon had SO much fun playing with the other kids and the toys. This is him and a friend of his ... playing with a pink oven :)!
We made a visit to the pumpkin patch. We love the Big Red Barn in Santaquin.
They added a lot of fun things this year - like this truck. Landon's favorite book is called "The Little Blue Truck" and it looks just like this one! He liked it so much he licked (yes, licked) the steering wheel. Hence the dirt on his face :)!
He (okay we) picked out a perfect little pumpkin that is just his size!
Then we carved pumpkins! We actually didn't carve Landon's since it wasn't very big. But he LOVED the whole process. There was so much goo he could squish between his fingers, and his belly kept getting in it ... so he had to have a sink bath which was probably his favorite part of all! I have to steal these pics from my family - Jeff and I forgot our camera. But I'll post them soon because they are pretty hilarious!
We attempted to do family pictures TWICE and it rained both times! Seriously ... what are the odds? It was beautiful almost every other day of the month - go figure! So on Saturday we were all dressed up, and it was raining - but we decided just to take some ourselves anyways. In the rain. Some of them still turned out pretty cute! Again ... I will have to steal these and post them soon! However, taking pictures wore Landon out ... and we were able to snap this when he fell asleep in the car seat! His hat fell down like that on its own ...cute huh?
And then of course we had Halloween! We went to a Halloween brunch that morning that was so fun! I forgot to take my camera - but we were actually all dressed up! Then we went trick or treating that night. Grandma & Grandpa's house was best because Landon got a slinky (he thinks they are awesome) which was cool since the whole candy thing doesn't really work for him yet! We went to a few houses in the neighborhood, but it was really cold, so we called it a night.
He is a Cubs baseball player ... you know ... just in case that wasn't obvious!