Thursday, May 10, 2012

Siri + My Smarty Pants

How many of you are familiar with Siri? You know ... the fancy feature on the iphone 4s that talks to you? If you don't own one but have seen the commercials don't be fooled. She isn't that smart. She has not yet solved all of my life's problems or produced world peace. 

But she is pretty cool nonetheless. 

And Landon thinks she is AWESOME. Like a little take along friend. 

It didn't take him long to figure out if you pushed the big middle button a lady starts talking to you.

And what shocked me even more - he knew what to ask!

A couple of weeks ago he started shouting "call dad!" into the phone after pushing the button.

It took him a couple of tries, but sure enough ... she obeyed. The only problem? Dad in my phone is Papa to Landon. But he was still tickled pink when Siri connected them. 

They had a delightful conversation ... which was really cute to listen in on (by the way, I am SO thankful we have many more years of mom-listening-in-on-conversations, just sayin')

Then a week later Landon started shouting "call Jeff-reee" into the phone. He figured out, on his own, that when I say that it connects me with Jeff. Which was his whole point from the beginning.

I'm not entirely sure how else he would have figured out that Jeff's full name is Jeffrey ... I always call him Jeff unless I use Siri.

Siri, however, has not yet figured out what Landon's elongated "Jeff-reee" is referring to. But it cracks me up to watch him try.

Then I help him connect with Jeff and sit back and smile while he walks around the house talking on the phone ... pretty sure I know where he learned that :)!

Siri might not be creating world peace, but she makes us smile. Maybe it's world peace one smiling parent at a time? Hey ... that should be their new commercial!  


1 comment:

Tamsin North said...

Nick and I were just talking about how tech companies used to think "Make it simple enough for your mother to use", but now it seems to be "Make it simple enough for your TODDLER." Espen knows his way around the iPad like you would not believe, and has even shown be a function or two :)

At this rate, our grandkids will probably be born with electronics in their tiny hands!