Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Never Ending Play Date

Do you remember being a kid? I have such wonderful memories of summer - we were carefree and really only cared that we got to play from sunup to sundown. I remember begging my mom to either let my friend stay for dinner or begging to join their family for dinner (there was more playing to be done!). Those were the days right?

Well, who said they had to end?

This week we headed up to our friend Stepper's house. We planned to have a fun lunch and let the kids play ... then Landon and I would be on our way.

But we just couldn't seem to stop having fun! 

Life has been a bit crazy. Monday and Tuesday in particular left me feeling frazzled and like I was fraying around the edges. I called Jeff on my way up stressed and near tears. He said "I think you need a little Stepper time." 

He was right. When we deposited ourselves on her doorstep I immediately found myself calming down. I'm sure she didn't even realize the state I arrived in.
 
The kids got to playing ... and then eating lunch. Stepper and I talked about life, and career moves and children. And the longer we talked the more my frayed edges came back together. The more my soul seemed a little more at peace (that's a seriously calming effect, folks).

After a while we moved outside. The whole time I kept telling Landon that we wouldn't stay much longer ... there were naps to be had after all.
Serious Swinging
And then Stepper suggested we stay ... Landon could nap there and we could keep enjoying the day. And so we did. Landon didn't nap - and I didn't even mind (collective gasp of shock!).
Movie-watching down time
And then we hatched a plan to stay and eat dinner. I called Jeff and he met us there ... and we ate Cafe Rio takeout. 
 
It was a wonderful day - just what we needed. It took me back to those summer days that I just couldn't bear to have end. 

That night we all left well fed - on both friendship and good food. And plain worn out ... 


Isn't falling asleep after a day like that the best kind of sleep? I think so!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nothing is better than a never ending play date with a great friend (for mom's and for kids), especially when you really need it! Great post!