Friday, May 25, 2012

A story a day...

Wednesday

Wednesday was one of those days. The kind that make me crave chocolate and consider pulling my hair out. I was sitting there thinking the day couldn't possibly get any longer ... when Jeff called at 4:30. I thought he was already on his way home (yay!). I then learned that it was happy hour Wednesday (in his defense it was the first he heard about it too). It's an event that happens ...

Every.
Other.
Wednesday. 


That was not what I was hoping to hear. And when he walked in the door (finally!) at 7:30 I officially hated happy hour. Although, now looking at it (not on one of those days) it's kind of a funny idea.


Jeff. At happy hour. Making small talk (cause you know how much he loves that). 


He's the only male recruiter. And the only non-drinker.


He ordered water. At HAPPY HOUR. I told him next time he should branch out and order soda. Or an appetizer. He did say that one of his fellow recruiters regaled them with stories from her life ... from the 70s and 80s. It sounded pretty wild! 


Thursday

Thursday was one of the opposite days. Landon was the cutest child in world. Mischievous but so cute.  Carolyn knocked on our door and I was chatting with her outside. Landon was running around outside in his socks. I told him to go inside to get his shoes or to take his socks off. So he happily went inside. Then I looked in and it appeared he had walked through to the back "yard" (sneaky, sneaky!). I went back in and he was actually sitting up to the kitchen table ... eating peanut butter from the jar (I might have been enjoying a few spoonfuls before Carolyn knocked and left it out). A 2-year-old eating from a jar is a bit messier ... and he was pretending to type on my laptop at the same time :)! He was covered in peanut butter and was sooo pleased with himself! I just had to laugh. 

Later we were in Orem. You should know, I never get gas in my car. I actually have to think about which side of my car my gas tank is on it is that infrequent that I put my own gas in (bless you, Jeff). But I was near Costco and thought "I'll be really nice and gas this bad-boy up." Got to Costco - I was the first person in line! Does that ever happen? Nope ... clearly it was a good sign.

Nope. 

I couldn't find my Costco card anywhere. The last time I used it? Was the day I lost Jeff's tie. Yep. Another casualty of that day. My Costco card.

So we go in to get it replaced. They take my picture. And the guy tells me it is the best picture of the day so far. I ask him if I was the only picture so far today. He assured me it wasn't. Then he called for backup to agree with him that it was the best picture. Weirdos. Nice weirdos, but weirdos nonetheless. He did tell me it was quite the awesome accolade to receive. I saw the picture once it was printed. If that was the best picture I would HATE to see the worst one.

Fast forward to Thursday night. We were driving past Utah Lake. Landon looks out and is SO pleased to discover ...

The Ocean! In Utah!!

I tried explaining the difference between a lake and an ocean. So he started using the word lake. But he was really hoping to see the whales, fish and gold fish (his words, not mine) he is certain live there. Despite my oceanography lesson. Oh well, it was super funny to listen to his description. And his pure child-like joy from the discovery.

Friday

I leave you with one more story. 

Today was a clean and get ready to go to St. George sort of day. I plopped Landon in a bubble bath and set to work on the upstairs. He was chatting and singing to himself. I was catching glimpses at him through the open door while I dusted the upstairs table (right outside the bathroom door, lest you think he was out of sight). 

Suddenly he started saying "Oh-no pee!" over and over. I was in the middle of dusting and object and assured him that he pees in the tub all the time (I hope a future girlfriend reads this someday, by the way) and it was fine. I said "I'll be right in there, I'm almost done." But his insistence got louder, "Oh-no MOM pee! pee!!" After a couple more times of him shouting OH-NO MOM and the word pee getting an increasing number of "eeeees" added to the end I walked in there.

He hadn't peed in the tub at all. It was a much, um, bigger problem.

So I hauled him out and had him sit there so I could disinfect the premise (and then him). All the while he was chanting "peed! peed!" 

Glad someone was so tickled by the situation :)!

I'll be honest, I've laughed a couple times about today myself. 

In fact, I think that's the difference between the Wednesdays and Fridays of my week this week. When I choose to laugh at the situations it makes all the difference.  

And on that SUPER profound note, I leave you for the long weekend. 



No comments: