Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Just the Two of Us

Kristen gave me suggestions for my blog (thanks!) ... one of which was to tell the story of how Jeff and I met. Before we (and this blog) was "just the three of us" we were "just the two of us."

We were both living in Provo. I had just graduated from BYU, working at my first "real" job and living with some close friends from college. Jeff had moved up here to live with a friend who was supposed to be getting married in December and needed someone to live with for a semester. Two of the friends we were both living with used to be an item ... and (thankfully for us!) had stayed close friends even though they had broken up.

It was November (just 1 month before Jeff was supposed to be moving back to southern Utah!) and we ended up at their house for dinner. It was a casual thing, and we weren't even really introduced past "this is so and so." We made them watch our favorite show at the time (One Tree Hill) and we ate. Jeff was so incredibly nice. He got me water and refilled my plate when I wanted some more. I didn't notice I was the only one he was doing those things for ... I just assumed he did it for everyone :)!

A couple of days later my roommate invited us over to watch the BYU vs. Utah game. That was the night we really met. We sat together and I cheered (uselessly) for BYU (they lost) and Jeff cheered for the Utes (I know ... blasphemy!). During half time we went to Cafe Rio for some dinner. Our roommates were deep in conversation, which left a lot of time for us to talk. Jeff hadn't really decided what he wanted to do with his life yet ... and I was more than happy to offer up some suggestions. And as he will tell you I am still offering that up all the time :)!

Back at their house we were talking more comfortably and joking around. The second the game ended Jeff suggested all watch Napoleon Dynamite (which had just come out). So we stayed... and somehow by the end of the evening we were snuggled up watching the movie. Hmmm...

We invited them over for dinner the next day. Which I think was a very good friend seeing the writing on the wall and trying her best to help things along. (Thank you!!)

On the way to ward council that next morning (they were supposed to be coming over for dinner that night ... just so you can keep this crucial timing straight) I might have told said friend that I thought he would be really fun to make out with. (Luckily I didn't have to wait long to find out :)!)

By the end of that dinner we were somehow holding hands (for a shy guy he was pretty smooth). And he kissed me a day or so later (and apparently a fast mover!).

Please keep in mind a few important facts at this point:
1. We have not been on a real date
2. But neither of us thought that kissing the other was too fast, or non-committal
3. The next day I was leaving for Thanksgiving with my family
4. He doesn't have my phone number at this point

The next day he called me (sneaky, sneaky ... he got that number without asking me!) and we grabbed dinner before I left town. And talked once while I was gone. And when I got back he asked me on a date. For real.

We went to temple square to see the newly-lit Christmas lights and then out to dinner. The whole time we didn't stop talking. We even decided that we both loved the name Landon for a boy (weird first date topic ... but it already felt like we had been dating for forever at this point in the night).

At first (meaning the first month or so) we just kept telling each other how much we liked each other ... and then we couldn't help but say "I love you." Both of us had secretly decided that we were getting married only a few weeks into our relationship.

And 10 months later we did :)! Almost six years later we are still so glad we met ... and that we now have that Landon we talked about so long ago!!

4 comments:

The Davis Family said...

Cute story!! That was so much fun to read!

-Shanna

Kristen said...

Awww, so sweet! Landon will love to read that when he's older.

Carolyn said...

Cute story! I didn't know you guys picked out Landon's name wayyyy at the beginning. He will love that.

Anonymous said...

Awesome post! Love the story!