Wednesday, June 9, 2010

A Moment

This afternoon I was having a moment ... or several moments strung together in one big, long frustrating moment! It started when we decided to go to the pool with the rest of the neighborhood. I didn't realize what a major production getting ready to go would be. Finally we were both sunscreened to the hilt, dressed in our swim gear and had the bag packed. Then Landon decided that he absolutely MUST have a bottle at that second or he would probably starve to death. Anyone who has seen him knows this is an impossibility :) but I dare you to try telling him that. So he ate.

Then we had to go to KMart (blah) to try to find some swim diaper cover up. Apparently you need them in public pools around here. Fortunately Kristie told me because I had no idea. KMart didn't carry them - shocker - so I decided just to pay for one at the pool. I don't know why I would have had to ... Landon fell asleep and showed absolutely no interest in this adventure.

We arrive at the pool only to find out that everyone thought the water was chilly and it was windy out ... so they didn't plan to stay much longer (we were an hour late). So we turned around ... after that monumental effort and went home.

I'm not certain at what point I became totally frustrated, or very done with the day. It could have been Landon's meltdown, or hauling the car seat into KMart only to discover it was a wasted trip, or the fact that no one at KMart knows what they do and don't carry, or perhaps just the sheer effort to do something simple (sometimes that still amazes me), or perhaps when I realized the afternoon was getting long and Jeff would be gone this evening as well. But I was having a moment.

When we got home Landon was still sleeping, so I took a very hot shower (I was still covered in all that sunscreen), and while in there ... and fighting back tears I will admit ... I just thought "wow I am being really silly, I have so incredibly much to be thankful for and this is really dumb" (at least I could tell I was being dumb ... that is not always the case ... just ask Jeff). So I made myself start listing my blessings.

Then I gave Landon a bath ... because when I say I covered him in sunscreen I mean I REALLY covered him. And as I was lamenting to him about being sorry for being so dumb he just grinned up at me. I just melted. How silly could I be? Here is this beautiful baby ... and he is smiling at ME like I hung the moon. And then my frustration seemed even sillier.

Then I went downstairs. I reached in my bag for my phone ... to discover that a bottle full of water had leaked everywhere and my phone was taking a bath. BAH!

Surprisingly as upsetting as discovering that is I didn't totally freak out. I had somewhat learned my lesson at this point. I did get a hold of Jeff and tell him how I was feeling (poor thing) but then I was over it. It's just a phone after all ... and it can be fixed. And water dries off the rest.

So I went back to playing with him:
Because who can have a bad day when you see that?

Thank you for listening to my moment ...

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

What a cute baby! He's getting big and he does have an awesome smile! If your phone isn't working since it got wet take off the battery and cover both the phone and battery with rice. Put a lid on the container and in a day or so try the phone again (you may have to charge it). Kyle threw my phone in the toilet last week (GROSS!) and after a few days in the rice it worked again. Good luck and I hope everything goes better tomorrow!

Lindsay said...

That's great. Thanks for sharing. ;)

Cinda said...

Welcome to motherhood! It's a good thing those moments last for a short time and something positive brings us back to reality.

Faye said...

Hey you should put more pictures of Landon on your blog. My mom and I really enjoy looking at them and we want to see how fat he is getting. lol Oh, we sent the box just let us Know when you get it. Love, Maddie

Shelley said...

Ari, I loved that post. So real; thank you for sharing it. p.s. I really love reading up on your life and seeing those DARLING pictures of your little man.
Shelley