Saturday, February 11, 2012

Love-day Date 2: Love Languages!

We aren't actually doing our date this week until Sunday. Jeff is taking the GMAT as I type this and we thought that to get some really good connection time we shouldn't have our date after a four hour test rapidly followed by my little brother's birthday party. It seemed like the wrong timing somehow :)!

So, instead I'm going to outline for you what we have planned and then give you a guys a quick update following our actual date. Our second "Love-day Date Night" is all about The 5 Love Languages. Have you heard of the book? It's by Gary Chapman and has been around for quite some time. I hadn't read it until recently, but had always wanted to.

I don't know about you and your significant other, but occasionally we have a bit of a communication breakdown (and occasionally it's more that a "bit of" one :)!). Sometimes I'm pretty sure we're even speaking different languages. So I grabbed The 5 Love Languages and started reading. What he said makes so much sense!! We give and receive love in our own "language" and sometimes our spouse doesn't give or receive love in the same language and then we end up feeling like our love-tank is empty. And who can run on an empty tank?

For our date we are going to this website and begin by talking about each of the five languages: Words of Affirmation, Quality Time, Receiving Gifts, Acts of Service and Physical Touch. I will also have the book on hand to give us a few more examples of each.

Then we're going to take the assessment ... there is one for men and women, so we'll take it side by side on two different laptops so we can do it at the same time.

I'll confess, after reading the book, I'm not 100% sure of what Jeff's language might be. From my interpretation of him I believe he can fit into more than one category. And since he hasn't had a chance to read the book (silly GMAT!) I think the whole exercise will be enlightening for him as well!

We're pretty excited, since we've been talking about doing this for a couple of weeks. We plan to finish up with a good discussion about how we can better demonstrate love and keep those love-tank's full!!

I found this blog on Pinterest and I loved the questions she and her spouse discuss every week. So during our discussion we're going to talk about coming up with our own (or perhaps just using these ... you never know!).

Each week she and her spouse discuss:

1. How did you feel loved this past week?
2. What does your upcoming week look like?
3. How would you feel most loved & encouraged in the days ahead?
4. How would you best feel pursued in intimacy this week?
5. How can I pray for you this week?

And to top it all off we will be having this discussion while indulging in brownies and ice cream :)! I can't think of any better way to discuss love than with chocolate, can you?

I'll follow up with a date review and what we discover our love languages to be!

No comments: