Friday, July 15, 2011

Networking

This morning I had a networking luncheon to attend for work. I actually helped plan and organize the whole thing, so for the first time since before Landon was born (16 months ago!) I was headed off to a work function. It was like stepping back in time and into a different life for a brief time.

Once upon a time I was as comfortable in dress clothes as I am in jeans. I could wake up in the morning and put on an outfit without having to think about it (which, is easy to do considering most of what I own is black, white and khaki :)!) But this morning I was a bit hesitant and unsure of myself ... it had been so long! I slipped into a silky purple blouse and black slacks. My favorite kind ... Banana Republic in black that are pleated and cuffed so perfectly ... and fit just right. Chandelier earrings and a loose bracelet. I was coiffed, made up and perfumed to be "understated and sophisticated." And in three inch slingback stilettos. I could write an entire post on how much I love slingback high heels. They rock my world.

The event was a huge success. Sometimes I forget I help make those things happen since I stay behind the scenes and don't travel anymore. It was nice to see it in person. I had forgotten how nice it is to see beginning, middle and end of a project. I had forgotten that it is nice to connect in person with people you regularly email with and speak with on the phone. I guess sometimes I just forget that what I do matters. And that I can still rock slacks and high heels in style. (Please don't misinterpret that I no longer wear heels. Oh the horror! Just not as regularly, or in this setting.)

I had also forgotten that slacks are hot in the summer ... and heels are too after a certain number of hours in them. I had also forgotten that "networking" means "meat market" to many men still. Ladies, we might work really, really hard to be seen as equals, but I fear that some men just might not ever get it. Thankfully some are enlightened, and for that we are lucky.

It was fun to step back into that role for a bit. I wouldn't trade my new one for the world, and I'm grateful for a company who values both my roles ... that's priceless to me.

Kind of like those slingbacks :)!

No comments: