Thursday, July 7, 2011

Bloomfield

Since my trip-blogging was so rudely interrupted by the battery problem, I'm going to take a step back a few days and catch you up. Friday morning we headed down to Bloomfield where my grandpa lives (my dad's dad). We had a fun time getting there...

First we stopped in this itty-bitty town called Humeston and ate at a little cafe. It is the best food we ate while there ... so delicious!! I think they thought it was so funny that we wanted our picture taken out front.
Then we stopped at a park for a while. James was pushing Landon in the swing and he thought it was SO much fun! (And I thought the pics were so cute!)
When we got to Bloomfield Landon met his great-grandpa Wuthrich for the first time. My grandpa has been married to Helen for a few years and we got to spend time with her too. She is very sweet and truly embraced our whole family.
Bloomfield is exactly what you picture when you think of a little farming community. It's tiny, quaint and everyone knows everyone else. We went to the farmer's market, ate at the local "nice" restaurant, got together with my dad's cousins and got to take a tractor ride! They didn't even have internet ... so we got to experience the quiet life for a couple of days :)!
(Landon meeting a cat at the Farmer's Market...they weren't so sure about each other)
(Playing with Great-Grandpa and his trains)
My dad has a cousin named Kenny. There probably isn't a nicer person on the planet. But when I was a young teenager he told me I looked like a Wuthrich - my dad's side of the family. I was SO offended. I thought he meant I looked like a guy. He still teases me about getting so mad that day :)!
(Hanging with Dad's cousins - this is Kenny)
(Finally a dog happy to meet Landon :)!)

Here we are riding tractors ... Landon and James even helped to plant some organic beans on my dad's cousin Kenny's farm.

When everyone was in bed I went to the basement and looked through old photo albums of my grandpa growing up and his married life to my grandma. My grandma had labeled everything. Even though she passed away when I was only 14, I still recognized her handwriting instantly.

We had so much fun, we were sad to say goodbye!!

2 comments:

laura said...

I love the swing picture :D He looks like he's having a blast

Tamsin North said...

Ha! I also posted some tractor-driving photos today :)