Tuesday, July 5, 2011

A few Iowa-isms

We went to Bloomfield where my grandpa lives for a couple of days and didn't have internet. And then when I got back with a camera full of great pictures my battery died. DIED! And naturally I didn't bring the charger. BAH! We switched to using my mom's camera, but we don't have any way to upload the pics. So you'll have to wait for all that. In the mean time a few fun Iowa-isms for you ...

*The other night at the local Mexican join (located in the old Hardee's ... very classy) our waiter looked and sounded just like Pedro from Napolean Dynamite. Fantastic!
* At that same classy establishment a girl had her baby with her. And then she proceeded to change it's diaper at their table. Seriously.
* They did their fireworks show the night before the Fourth of July. Why? We're not really sure. But we missed them because we didn't know. Sad, because I love fireworks!
* When we were up at the carnival I pulled James onto the carousel with Landon and I ... and didn't give them tickets for him. He's a teenager on a carousel ... we weren't going to pay for him. Luckily the guy didn't even care :)!
* Landon loves horses. After the parade they had one in a trailer to take him home. His owner told us we could go pet him as much as we wanted ... Landon loved that! And then after his carousel ride he petted his horsey and blew it kisses :)!
* Everyone we run into still calls my dad "Jimmy" when they ask about him. I don't think he has gone by Jimmy since he was a kid. But old habits die hard. Besides ... we know who they are referring to :)!
* They also seem to think that James (my little brother) goes by "little Jimmy." We haven't ever called James anything but James :)! It takes them a few tries, but eventually James figures out they are talking to him and responds to little Jimmy.
* I got to meet someone who threw my mom a baby shower when she was pregnant with me. She even remembered which quilt she sewed as my gift.
* At the ice cream shop (which has an AMAZING brownie sundae ... that I might have had multiple times during our trip) a lot of people just walk in the back. I'm not sure what they were doing ... getting their food? Telling the employees they need something added to their order? Who knows ... but apparently it's acceptable.

There is something so endearing about quirky small towns, I really love it.

No comments: