Friday, March 12, 2010

My Work Experience ...

I have now been out of school and working at my "real job" for the last 6 years (okay ... like a month and half shy of 6 years ... but you get the point). Crazy huh?! As I am preparing to "move on" to some new roles I have thought a lot about my full time work experience. I have learned more than I could ever write here ... and am incredibly grateful for both my education and work experience.

I have learned what hard work truly is. The kind where you think you have absolutely nothing else to give, and yet you give some more. The kind where you don't stop for several days straight and still have a lot to do. I know what it is like to be a part of a team ... a team of people who will stick together and genuinely care about the work they are doing and me as a person. These people have become some of my closest friends and some of the people I admire the most for their dedication, determination and for how much they care. I know what it is like to have several other people's livelihood rest in a huge part on how successful I am. That is a huge responsibility. I know what it is like to pray as hard as I can that somehow we will pull off what we need to in order to keep other people employed. I know what it is like to succeed ... and what it is like to fail.

I can talk to people for hours (literally) on the phone or in person that I have never met before, and comfort people who are going through one of the hardest times in their lives. I have heard stories that move you to tears. I know what it is like to have a family trust us with their most precious possession - their child. I have seen what real change is.

I know what it is like to travel alone, navigate a strange city and plan a business trip for myself and others. I know how frustrating it can all be ...

I know what it is like to sacrifice my own personal time to do my best at work. And (for my own personal satisfaction) I have done it all in high heels :).

I think the think I am ultimately the most grateful for is knowing what it like to experience all this. When Jeff gets home from work and we are eating dinner one of the things I love most about our day is talking about our days. And I am fortunate enough to understand what he is going through, and he knows how to support me and give me advice - it's a two way street. We can give each other advice on bosses, navigating company culture ... and can empathize with a really long day and a daunting to-do list waiting in the morning. I'm glad that I will get to hold on to this with me still working part time.

Now I am facing two new roles - motherhood and a new role at work when I come back. By far, motherhood is the most daunting and rewarding job I will ever face ... I am sure of it! But I am very hopeful that all the skills I have picked up along the way the last several years, and the challenges I have already faced will, in some small way, help me navigate these new challenges successfully. I guess we're about to see!

But no matter what I am grateful for the experiences I have had and the people who have shaped them - and me - along my way.

3 comments:

lance, miss, my, & finn said...

6 years! I was just thinking about that yesterday!
I really liked this post. I didn't work quite 6 years (well, almost with my internship, I guess), but I really appreciate the fact that I GOT to work before being a mom. I feel like it helps me relate to other working people, especially lance. it makes me feel like I contributed to society (and my family financially!). I'm really glad I got to experience it. it helped me grow up more, I think. and appreciate the flexibility of motherhood!:)
I'm so excited for your new adventure!

Lindsay said...

Thanks for sharing. I've felt like my work experience has also helped to shape me as an adult.

Such great experiences; good for you for recognizing them and for taking the time to look at them.

Just keep your head up as the next great adventure will test you in all kinds of new ways--I suppose. ;)

Jacqueline Fairbanks said...

I loved reading this post. Though it took me a while to get to it...have not had a lot of time lately with work being so busy:) It almost brought me to tears. I too, love the experience and am so grateful I got to share it with you! I am so excited for your new role as a mommy! And know you will be excellent at it too!