Monday, June 15, 2009

Patriotism

I must have a lot to say to the blogging world today ...

Driving home from the gym this morning I was behind our YM president. In the back of his truck were a big group of flags. Then I remembered ... in honor of Flag Day (yesterday) the Scouts were putting flags in our yards. When I pulled in there were a lot of them running around taking care of the flag-business. Please keep in mind ... it was barely after 6 ... on summer vacation ... and it was chilly!

They do this for several holidays throughout the year ... and certainly not all of them in the summer. Sometimes they are pounding those stakes in through snow and ice.

And how grateful I am! Every time I drive up and see the whole street lined with flags it warms my heart and makes me puff up a little in pride for our country.

And every time I see those Scouts (and their leaders!) out there, sacrificing time and sleep it makes me so proud to be an American. And so proud of them for learning to work hard and sacrifice for something greater than themselves.

I know none of them will see this ... but next time you see one of them doing their part to remind us how lucky we are please tell them thanks!

On another note, the YW & YM sang Battle Hymn of the Republic (also in honor of Flag Day). I'm sure I'm prejudice, but they sounded so wonderful. To hear the sweet voices of our girls ... and the robust boys sing so resolutely made me incredibly proud of them. They worked so hard! And sounded so convincingly like the future of our nation. They are great kids ... I'm lucky to work with them!

2 comments:

The Hunt Family said...

I would have to 110% agree with you on that WHOLE statement!

Stepper the Mighty said...

yes ma'am! I got that catch in my throat when they sang Battle hymn myself. Good gravy, that's a stellar hymn.

And we do have stellar youth. And they have stellar leaders (you, Bill, etc.).

And America is plum awesome.