Monday, December 22, 2008

A Road Trip ... with Two Boys

Jeff and his BFF Kolby decided they really wanted to go see BYU play in the Las Vegas Bowl (although now we know that I use the word "play" loosely). My mom also bought my dad tickets to the game as part of Christmas. So I decided to ride along to do some last minute Christmas shopping with my mom while the rest froze at the game.

When was the last time you spent 12 hours in a car with two boys (both in their late 20s)? I assure you ... if it wasn't recently then you are in for a treat.

First, you must understand that Jeff and Kolby went to school together and they both work in HR. So they have a lot in common. Including their sense of humor.

One of the best moments was when we were headed out of St. George. We'd had 3 hours in the car already and had just eaten some In N Out (yum!). So things started to get silly. I'm in the backseat reading when I overhear them talking ... about being each others' one and only (true BFF - I put this in parenthesis because at first it was just one and only - until they decided they should clarify). So I just sad there listening quietly ... this was too good to pass up. They were being "macho" about it ... but it was quite funny. (and touching ... but I was way more into the funny part). So I text message Kolby's wife, Kristie. And she calls him! They were caught and we were all laughing really, really hard.

After the game we were driving back to St. George to stay at parents' house. Jeff kept making wrong turns (the normal exit was closed). You can imagine the jokes on Jeff after passing a certain Church's chicken for like the third time ...

Then on the way home, we had a Tommy Boy/Karen Carpenter moment. Jeff turned on my Carpenter's CD really loud, they started acting out the part in Tommy Boy (when this same event happens) and roll down the windows singing at the top of their lungs. It was charming. Luckily neither is aspiring to do that for a career. Just after that, I am again reading when I notice a very competitive discussion getting louder and louder in the back seat. An argument? Hardly. They were playing the ALPHABET game simultaneously with I SPY! I wish I were kidding.

Just so you know... they both made it all the way to Z before we made it home. I am so proud.

3 comments:

Stephie said...

here is a good driving story with Jeff.

So Jeff was taking Kirk and I back to the Vegas airport one time. WE were leaving St George and he had gotten gas, as he was getting onto the freeway he realizes that He is getting on the freeway taking you BACK to St George not out of St George. So he does a U-turn on the on-ramp, yes on the on-ramp and drives off of the ramp with cars on the road!!!!!!!!!!!
One of the scariest times in my life!!!

Lisa said...

that's too funny- thank heavens for guys and the laughs they provide us with. We loved having james over the weekend- he is a really great kid!

Stepper the Mighty said...

that is adorable.