Saturday, September 13, 2008

Wilderness...

So I am at a Wilderness Symposium for work ... with Jill (one of our RTs) in Boulder, CO. Can I just say ... there are SO many reasons why we don't really "blend" with the crowd here.

1. We wash our hair regularly. There is a girl here with dreadlocks. The real kind of dreadlocks. The kind that only a razor and some serious grow-out time can fix.
2. We wear shoes in public places. At the networking reception we were both in heels. There were people (as in multiple) that were barefoot. At a conference.
3. We don't recycle everything we touch. There are 4 trash cans in our "waste free" hotel room... so we can recycle. It is overwhelming though because I can't figure out exactly what goes in which can. For example ... where was I supposed to spit out my gum? Compostables? Or landfill (gasp)! Don't get me wrong ... I am all about saving the environment ... but that is a bit extreme ...
4. There is NO water served at the conference. Alcohol, coffee and tea. And not a bottle of water in sight. People in Boulder don't like the waste of bottles of water. But no one who works with troubled youth seems to have a problem getting drunk ... weird.
5. Our "waste free" hotel looks like the rainbow threw up on it (they really embrace different life styles). Where is my camera when I need it? It is super colorful with a "chlorine free" pool and hot tub. But we just got out of the hot tub and we smell weird, and my skin is iching ... never a good sign :)

We are having a fabulously, hilarious time ... we are learning a lot and Jill is a good travel buddy. And we can't help but laughing at everything that is happening ... it is just so surreal. I just had to keep you updated on my exciting traveling life :)!

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

Ahh, gotta love Boulder, CO! Full of hippies. I love it! So funny. If you haven't made it Pearl Street, you must go- that's the best!

Unknown said...

Please, oh, please tell me you got pictures of this.

You know, I usually think that you must be simply DYING to be working here again, but I must admit that I was more than a little bit jealous of you when I was reading this.

Oh, and God bless America, high- heeled shoes and hair brushes!

Kristin said...

Ari-

I laughed so hard at your post! I just came back from a trip to Boulder and I must agree with most of your observations. I went to church in a pretty conservative outfit (at least for the east coast) but boy did I stand out in sacrament meeting! I must have missed the memo about the hiking/rock climbing that was happening after church, cause everyone else was ready to go!

Anyways, I sure miss you guys. I'm coming to visit Tamara and the new baby from Jan 1-6 - I would love to see you!