Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Two Weeks of Gratitude...

The first two weeks with a new baby are always so sweet and fun ... and seem to pass much too quickly. I look back over them (Liam will be 2 weeks old tomorrow ... oh how is that really possible?!) and can't think of much that I have accomplished that falls in my "normal" range of productive. But I have snuggled that baby ... and held him ... and done puzzles and played hide-and-seek with Landon ... and I have loved them with all my heart. 

Best time spent ever.

I seem to carry a baby with ease. But post-partum recovery is where I struggle. About a week after having Landon I developed a serious infection (high fever, etc.) and to this day I'm not entirely sure what it was. I just remember a heavy antibiotic and sleeping a lot.This time there was some stuff left behind and I ended up in surgery yesterday. Luckily it was a quick procedure and I'm feeling just fine. Landon made a trip down to my parent's house and with Jeff home to take care of Liam I have gotten a lot of rest. What would I do without amazing people in my life? I really don't know.

So I'm looking back at this crazy couple of weeks with a lot of gratitude:

Gratitude for my wonderful husband who does so much - around the house, with our babies and for me. He's one of the most selfless people I have ever met. I am so, so blessed. Honestly, I would keep him with me every second of every day if I could. But unfortunately there are bills to pay :)

Gratitude for Landon. He loves Liam with all his heart. If I even mention that Liam needs a diaper change or something (even when I'm not talking directly to Landon) he will drop whatever he is doing and run to help. He is constantly hugging and kissing him and saying "he's so cute!" or "I love him!" What a sweet boy! Plus he brings us such joy - playing hide-and-seek with a two year old has to be one of the funniest things on the planet :)! Just when I thought I couldn't love him anymore than what I already do ... and yet, here I go!

Gratitude for Liam. He is so sweet! And such a little snuggle bug. Holding a little bit of heaven reminds you what life is really all about. I am enjoying getting to know his little personality so much. He makes the cutest faces and noises - and I LOVE the way he nestles up to me. Love.

Gratitude for my family - they have taken care of Landon so much and at the last minute with the recent events. There aren't enough words to say how grateful I am.

Gratitude for Jeff's family - his parents were up the end of this last week and helped out, snuggled Liam and played endlessly with Landon.

Gratitude for the friends we have. We have had endless phone calls, text messages and dinners brought in by people who just want to keep tabs on how we are doing and make sure we are well taken care of and know how much we are loved. Priceless.

Gratitude for Jeff's co-workers. They have really been so flexible and wonderful. And they threw Jeff a shower :)! Complete with lunch, games and a gigantic gift basket full of goodies (and a $100 gift card!). It was so generous, I couldn't even believe it.

Gratitude for the gospel. Having a baby is overwhelming. And so is everything that follows - wonderful, but overwhelming also. Having the gospel reminds me to stay centered and reminds us what life is really about. 

Gratitude for great medical care - I would be lost without it lately! 

Ultimately, I feel so incredibly blessed. Not everything has been easy. Or ideal. But we have drawn closer together as a couple, a family and with those who love us because of it. 

On Friday we have Liam's newborn pics, so stay tuned for those!

1 comment:

Jake and Megan said...

Congrats Ari. Liam is so adorable. I can't wait to meet him!