Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Baby Liam

Thursday, January 17th started out in a whirlwind. Landon was safely deposited at my parent's house the night before, and it's a good thing because the hospital wanted us at 6:30 am! We had to wait for FOREVER for that call to come when we had Landon so I was really grateful to get in so early this time around. Jeff and I headed in to get started. 
The night before ... have to get the baby belly shot!

It takes a little bit to get checked in, etc. but by about 8 things were well on their way (water broken, petocin started and epidural given). This time the epidural made me so light headed. I felt terrible for a while and they kept having to give me a shot of something to keep me from passing out. Once that was stable we settled in for the waiting game.
The waiting game...

At first it seemed like things were going so, so slow! I had friends and family texting to see how things were progressing. And I might have complained a time or two that they weren't very quickly :)! 

My Dr. said he thought we would have a baby by lunch time. I didn't believe him at the rate things were going. Around noon Jeff said he would go get me a magazine to pass the time and I encouraged him to get lunch while he was out. Luckily he wasn't gone long.

I was on the phone with a friend when I started to feel some serious pressure. Jeff had just gotten back so I finished up the conversation to spend time with him.

And I kept feeling it.

So I had him grab our (amazing) nurse. She checking into things ... and much to our SHOCK she said ... it's time.

Um, what?!

She wouldn't even let me give a "practice push" until the Dr. was safely in the room.

He arrived 15 minutes later (she must have really given him a sense of urgency because I'm not sure how he made it so fast). They prepped the room and he gave me the green light.

He said "well it's close to lunch time" (it was just after one at this point) and then said "I think you'll have this baby here in 2 minutes." It took two hours with Landon so my first thought was "riiiiight."

Should have listened. Three pushes later and they were putting Liam on my chest to hold for the first time.

I can't even type that without getting teary eyed. Does the wonderment of holding a new baby for the first time ever go away? I don't think so ... nor should it.
Brand new and so sweet!


We have debated for months his name - we loved both Liam and Emerson. I was pretty convinced he was Emerson, Jeff was rooting for Liam.

But the second I saw him and held him I just knew - he was Liam. Liam James (after my dad) to be exact. He joined our family at 1:23 pm. He was 7 lbs. 1 oz. and 18.5 inches long. He looked so tiny laying there!!
Delivering in a small hospital was such a different experience - we loved it. Our nurse was with us the whole time and after they did an initial check of Liam they left us alone for the first couple of hours to bond. Then they came and did his bath in the room so we could both be a part of it before moving me to the mother/baby room.

Later that night Landon came to meet him for the first time. It was love at first sight for him too! He is such a proud big brother. He couldn't get enough of him. 

On Saturday we were able to go home and Landon was so, so excited to be bringing his baby brother home with us. He helped get him dressed. At one point he really wanted to hold him on his lap at the hospital. As I was helping him I heard him saying something really softly to Liam. I bent closer to listen.

Landon was singing "I am a Child of God" to him. Never, have I ever been so happy to be a mother, or proud of my son than at that moment. (I also can't think about it without it bringing tears to my eyes).







When we got home the first thing Landon insisted we do was show Liam his toys. Brothers know where the priorities lie you know. 

Since then we've just been hanging out as a family and bonding. Landon went to grandma & grandpa's again last night for another adventure since Jeff went back to work today. Everyone has been so wonderful about helping and letting us ease into this. And giving Landon some play time away from all the resting (very important for an almost 3 year old). But I'll confess - I miss having him around so much! 
Beautiful new mommy flowers from Jeff & Landon

But at the same time getting to bond with Liam has been so wonderful. After an easier delivery I have felt really good (other than being tired and a bit new-mom weepy), so I feel blessed to get to enjoy this time. He is just so snuggly!! I love how your newborn just knows you - when he hears our voices he responds, and the second one of us holds him he just snuggles close. 

I've heard a saying that says (something to the effect of) "every time a baby is born it is a promise of hope for the future." I couldn't agree more - there is nothing like the sweetness and innocence of new life. What a precious gift! We love Liam so, so much and are so grateful to have him as part of our family.
Just the FOUR of us!

5 comments:

Tamara said...

I love all the pictures Ari! Wish I could come see Liam. You guys look great and Landon is the sweetest! Congrats!

Kristen said...

Reading that brought back so many great memories of when Ben was born. Sounds like the labor went super well (and fast!!). SO happy for you about that! :)

Holy crap, that little Liam is so sweet I just want to cuddle him!!! I wish we lived a bit closer so I could come over sooner, but I'll have to just look at more pictures of him (so keep posting!!).

Babies are amazing. What a blessing for the Terry family. And Landon singing that song???? AUGH! So special. That will be something you can tell them forever.

Congrats girlie. You are a great mama.

Unknown said...

Ari- he is a doll! And I won't lie, I cried when I read about Landon singing him "I am a child of God" So tender.

Matt and Carolyn said...

Great pictures! He looks just like a perfect little baby, and definitely a Terry. :) I'm SO happy for you that Landon loves him, and that he's a good baby so far! Such a cute baby. We can't wait to meet him!

The Birds said...

Congrats! So fun to see you family getting bigger. Just more love in your home!