Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Confession

Tonight has been an emotional one. 

Today Landon and I had a great time. We snuggled in bed reading books, ate a deliciously sugary-cereal breakfast and played before bothering to get ready. I had a RS meeting (totally got a new calling on Sunday. You know, the Sunday right before I'm having a new baby :)!) during which Landon conveniently had friends to play with. Post nap-time we headed to get a treat with a good friend, get a car wash (this is thrilling if you are a 2-year-old boy) and run to Hobby Lobby for something for the nursery.

Then we came home. And I felt like I was having a panic attack.

Because, you see, this is it. By this time tomorrow Landon will be snugly sleeping at my parents house and Jeff and I will be doing last minute hospital prep waiting for our (hopefully) early call in on Thursday morning to get this show on the road.

Tonight was our last night to eat dinner just the three of us. The last night to head down to play trains and cars like we always do. The last night to get ready for bed and snuggle with stories like we always do...

Again, I can't tell you how excited all of us are. I just struggle with change of any kind and this is a pretty darn big one.

We surprised Landon with a new book tonight - I'm a Big Brother by Joanna Cole (super cute and perfect for this situation - they have the sister version too). He loved it so much we read it twice in a row. 

As we were singing "I am a Child of God" to him before tucking him in, I have to confess I was crying. Landon must have thought I wasn't doing a very good job, because instead of just snuggling against us during it he decided to sing along and compensate for me :)! 

He does the song justice so much better than I do. 

Tomorrow we'll play and finish packing his bag for Grandma's house (he is thrilled, I assure you). And then off he'll go ... and we'll be back here wondering how on earth 9 months went so fast. And admittedly I might cry a bit then too.

But that's okay.

Because I know that I'll cry again on Thursday. The moment I meet the newest member of our family that I simply can't imagine life without. 

Stay tuned for pictures! (And wish us luck!)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

That was such a sweet post, you have a beautiful way of writing.

And like you said, on Thursday you won't be able to remember life without the new little guy.

You will do great - can't wait to hear all about it!!

Charms said...

Ari,

I love you so much and feel as though we have been friends forever because of the way we mother our kids. It doesn't matter that they are the opposite genders--(We totally bought the sister Joanna Cole book for Lauryn before Madi appeared!)the feelings and the way we love them obsessively is the same. I love that I am not alone in this ;)

It is an adjustment. And I am so glad that you are enjoying the last times as a "three." Sometimes I feel guilty that I can't indulge Lauryn quite as much as I did before and even guiltier that Madi never had that type of love lavished upon Just her. But in the long run, I actually think the divided attention makes me a better mom and makes for better kids. I hope :)

You are amazing. Sorry to ramble on. Good luck--I'll see you in a bit with a casserole ;)