Saturday, June 30, 2012

The Smell of Summer

Do you ever have things that take you back to a moment in time that changed you somehow? Or perhaps a beautiful memory that takes your breath away? Or maybe it's something that takes you back to a time you never want to forget. Sometimes it is a sight, or a song. And sometimes it is a smell. 

Tonight Landon was coming off of a very fun day and night and was having a hard time falling asleep. Quite some time after putting him down he was still talking to himself. So I walked in to tell him it was really time to go to sleep. But instead of just telling him and having him roll over he reached for me. And I picked him up and sat down with him in his chair. 

I sat there for a little while rocking and just drinking him in. The sight of his messy, bleached-from-the-sun blonde hair. His rocker jammies. And the beloved bear he was clutching protectively to his chest.

I just kept inhaling. Willing myself to never forget that sweet toddler smell. Everyone talks about how babies smell (oh the delight of the new baby smell!), but I think we all overlook the toddler smell. It isn't quite as sugary sweet ... but the feelings are just as strong for me.

Landon smelled like a fun late-afternoon swim and water gun fight at Grandma's in his baby pool. Like maple syrup (we went out for dinner and he proudly ordered himself a pancake for dinner). And like little boy sweat - he insisted on three blankets for bed (THREE - in the middle of summer!). And how I never want to forget those moments and exactly how he looked and smelled!
Sometimes it seems he never sits still long enough to really drink him in - so instead I take snapshots in my mind (and on my camera if I can get him to stand still!). Just this week alone it seems like he has grown up in leaps and bound - he's gotten so brave and independent on the playground, around the stairs, and with his friends that it breaks my heart and makes me so proud in equal parts. But when the moment is right and we can really snuggle I drink in as much as I can. 

And someday (a really, really long way down the road!) I hope I'm blessed with a grand baby just like him so I can drink that same Landon-toddler-ness all over again.

No comments: