Monday, October 10, 2011

A Case of the Poopy Mondays

Today has been one of those days. Why, you ask? Let me tell you ... We took family pictures yesterday and it was pretty cold out by the time we finished. So I woke up sometime around 2 am with my throat on fire. Don't you hate that?! (Once upon a time I got mono ... and now any extreme weather condition seems to make my throat feel terrible ...)

All seemed to be going better by morning (you know, the actual time people wake up). I was feeling better, Landon was sleeping in for my mom and I was off to work. I picked Landon up from Grandma and Grandpa's ... where they headed once he woke up and he was having a delightful time playing/commanding all their attention ... and we headed home for lunch.

And that is where I should have just thrown in the towel and gone to bed until Tuesday.

When we got home we found out that Ellie somehow got poop all over her (she is a dog after all), and spread it everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

I was stuck. Landon needed lunch, so for a few moments I had focused my attention elsewhere (where he was thankfully strapped into his high chair). Then it was nap time.

So I got to work. Do you know how much work it is to clean up all that? Multiple loads of laundry. Dog bath. Kitchen floor mopped. And Jeff is about to start cleaning our living room carpet in approximately 10 minutes. (Thank goodness my parents own a carpet cleaner they are generous with!!)

It was that catastrophic. And please keep in mind my throat is starting to feel worse and worse. Luckily I finish everything up just before Landon wakes up from his nap.

I'm thinking, ah ... I did it. Now the day will go smooth.

Wrong again.

Normally Landon is a really happy go lucky kid. Sure, he has his moments, but as a general rule he's easy going. And then there was this afternoon. It was one long string of "moments." He has learned a couple of very important toddler things to know ... 1. How to say "no!" to everything 2. How to throw a fit and 3. To dislike sharing. And today he employed all that knowledge. All. Afternoon. Long.

We went to the playground to play with friends. Bad idea. When he wasn't sharing he was hollering about someone (okay, me) asking him to be nice. Scratch that idea.

Next up? A quick errand. I told him we were going "bye-bye" and he thought that meant a walk, and did not involve the car/car seat. Major fit.

On to K-Mart. He actually did pretty good there. Until he realized he had to get back in the car to go home. Fit again.

You get the idea ... it's pretty much how our day progressed. He even threw what I would consider a tantrum. It lasted longer than a fit, but when I didn't even acknowledge his flailing and screaming he quieted down pretty quick and started playing with his toys.

And then I decided to make dinner. Corn chowder - pretty easy right? Oh gosh. I should have just ordered pizza at this point. You have to understand, I'm not a great cook (I can bake though!!). And Jeff normally makes this soup. He just happens to get home at dinner time, which really prevents him from making dinner!

It was a disaster ... I almost scorched it. The bacon was shooting grease everywhere. I couldn't manage to multi-task enough to make the corn bread to go with it (we ended up with refrigerator biscuits), then I moved something off a burner, only to forget it was hot and set and entire bag of marshmallows on top of it (Landon handed them to me in a busy moment). Marshmallows melt quickly. Let's just leave it at that.

Luckily Jeff walked in about that time and saved the day. And wow, what a day it was! I'm hoping for a really boring Tuesday.

1 comment:

laura said...

WOW, you can't say your life is boring. So sorry for such a bad day. I think a nice day lounging, reading a good book & ordering take-out is in order :D