Tuesday, December 11, 2012

A Week of Adventures

This last week was a whirlwind! And officially the last one I knew would be insane before Christmas. We don't seem to slow down well around here (probably my fault ...). 

The first big activity of the week was last Wednesday - Ale's bridal shower. The day started off with a bang. I needed to get an in-home exam done for some life insurance stuff we've been updating. The medical assistant showed up late (she forgot her bag and had to turn around to go get it) only to have locked her keys in her car (along with her medical supplies bag and phone)! She called her husband from my phone to tell him where to come get her with extra keys. Only, they share a car, so he also had to track down a vehicle.

They only live in West Jordan but it took him almost TWO hours to get to our house. Keep in mind I am expecting about 20 women later in the day and had to clean and make food (with a two year old "helper") ... Finally he calls because he is getting off on our exit. Then he gets lost between there and our house for the next 30 minutes. I kept asking if we should just go meet him where he was and lead him to our (very easy to find) house. Finally she took me up on it. So I loaded us all in the car and drove until we located him and brought him back. It was quite the morning for a tiny little medical exam. Luckily it all was done by noon and I had plenty of time to finish up before Ale's big night!! And she was really sweet, so it wasn't (completely) awkward.

I chose an "All Around the House" theme for the shower because they need a lot of those essentials ... and because I could decorate/have invites and food that reflected a 1950's housewife theme. I heart themes :)! Every guest was assigned a "room" they were supposed to bring their gift for. 

We played a game, ate delicious food and then Ale opened her presents. The best line of the night had to be when she opened my mom's gift:

"Oh look! She gave me cooking things!!"

Those 'cooking things' would be pots and pans. Oh to be 23 again :)!


The invites ... done by my talented friend Kristen at  Sage Digital Designs
One party down ... two to go!

Jeff and I were on our ward party committee for the Christmas party. It was really fun to have something to get involved in. The theme was "The Grinch" and we created Whoville and everything. We were the publicity part of the committee (wish I could take credit for these invites ... but alas, it was Kristen again). 
Whoville
Place Settings
Another night, another Santa
 The night was a huge success and I wish I could say we had more to do with it - but it was a pretty amazing committee. Landon even sat on Santa's lap again and told him the EXACT same things he wanted for Christmas! We walked away tired but starting to actually feel like we're part of the ward - you know, for real. And that we really might make some good friends here. It's a good feeling. 

Saturday morning we braved the free Frontrunner day to let Landon ride the train. Biggest mistake EVER. Everyone else was doing the same thing and it was SO cold out (finally). And the train was running super late because of the unexpected crowds (if something is free in Utah how were they not expecting huge crowds?!). We pretty much regretted it. I would have rather just paid for the ride! Landon did take this adorable self portrait on the train though ... 

Saturday night was a fun night for just Jeff and I. Five years ago I started to work with my current company - and through that have made some very dear friends. We were able to all get together and have a little dinner party, and it was just what the month of craziness ordered! We've seen each other through six (soon to be eight) new babies and all their phases, we've each bought a new house and moved (one out of the area and she was back - reason enough to celebrate!!), new positions in our careers, new motherhood, and life in general. And through it our husbands have also become close friends. Just having them all in the same room makes me so happy!
I don't do much half way. Also, if you have fancy dishes they must be used!
It has been one CRAZY December around here so far. I'm thinking we should just coast into the holidays and take it easy from here on out. But I know us better than that! It might not be a three-event week, but I doubt we'll slow down too much :)! Happy December!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey you, thanks for the shout-out, you're awesome! :) Whoville turned out GREAT, wow!! They do go all out, don't they?? Glad you are feeling a part of the ward there now!

Our December is crazy, too, but at least it's crazy with fun stuff like yours is! :)

Jake and Megan said...

I love your invites! Kristen did a great job. And your ward party looked awesome. I can assure you our ward party is not going to look that awesome (since I'm in charge of decorating...)

Thanks again for the other night. We had so much fun! We miss you guys so much so it was so great to see everyone!

Guh said...

Whoa. That ward party looks intense. :) I love it!