Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Friends, maybe?

I just realized how long it has been since I have blogged! We've been busy, busy around here! I promise some pictures soon - we are getting really close to that point (yay!!). I'm really excited to show you, and really, just to have some of it finished up!

But today, instead, I will give you an update on the rest of our lives. I think (hope) we might eventually fit in up here. Or have friends. Eventually. This afternoon Landon and I were about to head out on some errands. But we heard the kids next door outside. I asked Landon if he wanted to go ask them if they wanted to play instead. They were a little unresponsive (they were very busy "crushing rocks" and I realized they were the ones that were a bit older) so I asked Landon if he just wanted to knock on the door and ask if the younger kids could play. 

He was thrilled! He misses his friends SO much and asks about them all the time (and so do I ... but lets not go down that road, in my preggo state I have a tendency to get weepy). We have a couple of sets of friends up here (lifesavers!), but none in the neighborhood which makes coordinating work schedules and play time difficult sometimes. So I worry that Landon gets lonely sometimes. I figure I do, and I can just call someone if I want to chat, or drive us someplace, so I figured as his mom I need to be the one to change the situation.

So we bravely walked up to the door. Thank goodness he is still little enough to want to hold my hand while we do. I think I needed to hold his little one as much as he needs to hold mine sometimes. And we did it - we knocked on the door. And asked to play. They are SUPER nice (and have been since we met them). They were thrilled to have Landon over. There were a couple of sets of kids over actually and he just blended right in. The mom offered to let him just stay and play. And while she is great, I wasn't quite ready for that yet. She understood that and invited me in to talk. 

And, you know, we actually had some things in common! More than I originally thought. The other mom came to retrieve her kids and it was clear they have been friends longer and are at more of the same stage in life (older and multiple kids, etc.) but she was also really, really nice. And for a moment I felt like I could really belong. I might not have the same situation as before, but that doesn't mean it won't be great in different ways. 

And that I'll have someone to borrow a cup of sugar from. Here's to (hopefully) new friends!

2 comments:

Stepper the Mighty said...

This kills me, Ari! I miss my friends SO MUCH - and the image of you clinging to Landon's hand just as tightly as he was clinging to yours as the two of you approached that scary door undoes me. Way to be brave!

Charms said...

I think we needed you up here too! It is hard to coordinate schedules but hopefully, we can do better at it (I may be cutting even more hours soon) I'm glad you and Landon are being brave--you both are way braver than me, that's for sure.