Thursday, March 22, 2012

Reflections on Turning 30

Well, folks, it happened. I turned 30. And you know what? I'm totally excited about the whole thing :)! I know a lot of people find this to be overwhelming, or a crisis of sorts. That hasn't ever been me. I was looking forward to it, excited for the new decade and what it can bring. Weird? Maybe, but I think it is a great time for reflection.

Ten years ago I was thrilled to turn 20. Do you remember how grown-up and cool 20 sounded when you were a teenager? I remember practically salivating to be able to say "I'm in my 20s." And, please don't misunderstand me, those were really good times. I believe that one's 20s are a time of discovery. And I'm quite proud of what I accomplished during that time in my life.

I graduated from college, started a career, got married and had Landon.

That's a lot, when you really look back! More importantly there are the nuances of those things that have made me who I am today.

I learned what I was capable of when put to the test, I learned how to work hard for something bigger than myself. I learned what a broken heart felt like, and how to be more careful with others. I learned what real friends are and what they mean in your life. I learned how to sacrifice. I learned how to love another person completely. And I learned what it means to be a mother.

I don't think I could have asked for a better decade in a lot of ways. I feel fortunate to have had so many growing experiences in the last 10 years. I have come out of those experiences knowing who I am as a person and what I believe in. And what I want out of life.

I'm stronger and more confident. I think this is always a work in progress, but who I am now is worlds stronger than the girl I was then.

I respect myself a lot more. I know what I'm capable of. That girl could still fit into her cheerleading uniform. Now, I'm sure (okay, really sure, but I digress) that I couldn't anymore ... but I respect this body so much more. This one has grown a life and given birth. This body has learned to live on no sleep because a little baby needed me more. And I have learned to balance motherhood, being a wife and working.

I love being a wife. Then I liked the romanticized view of what I believed love and marriage were. Reality is so much harder ... and a million times better! I wouldn't trade one day of the last 6 (almost 7!) years of being married to Jeff for anything else. Marrying him was the absolute best decision of my 20s. On the brink of this new decade, I am looking forward to 10 more adventurous years together.

At 20 motherhood seemed like a distant "someday." And in reality I had Landon two days before turning 28, so it was far off then! It has changed me in so many ways. I'm grateful for every single one. Landon put the final touches on my 20s in the best possible ways. I wouldn't trade extra time, sleep or money for even one minute with him. As much as I don't want him to grow up, I also look forward to seeing all the different ways he will grow and change. Every new little thing he does thrills me and makes me want to be a better mother to him.

Through this past decade I realized what true friends are. I made some amazing ones in college and even more after. I was really touched on my birthday when so many took the time to visit, call, email or text me good wishes. I love that I have an incredible network of women to rely on, laugh and cry with and learn from. And to top that off? I became friends with my parents (who are wonderful) and my sister (there were some big bets this wouldn't ever happen ... but it did!). I am blessed.

I have loved looking back and taking the time to reflect on how much I have changed in the last decade. And because of that change I am looking forward to this next one so much. How much more change and growth will come? I have a lot to accomplish in my 30s ... and I'm eager to get started. I'm entering this time with faith, excitement, hope and optimism all wrapped into one.

Now 40? That will probably bring on a crisis :)! Check back with me then ... but until then ... here's to 30!!

5 comments:

Becca said...

Aww, I forgot to wish you happy birthday!!! I hope we can still be friends! I'm glad you're enjoying 30. I hope I feel the same way when I get there later this year :)

Janey - UtValleyFoodie said...

Sounds like you had a very fun birthday!! And thank you, I soooooo agree with you about turning 30!!

Kristen said...

That was a beautiful post, I loved reading it!! It's amazing all the wonderful/life-changing things that happen in your 20s, so crazy to think about. So glad your birthday was great!!

Carolyn said...

Well this helps me feel a little better about turning 30. I'll be honest, it's harder for me to accept. But I love your reflections! What a great, joy filled life you have!

Tamara said...

Thanks Ari, I'm so torn about turning 30 soon. I'm glad you wrote such an optimistic post about it, makes me feel better!