Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Angel's Landing

We had a great time at Thanksgiving this year! We went down to St. George and spent the day with Jeff's whole family, stuffing ourselves silly. The next day we planned to hike Angel's Landing in Zion's National Park. When Jeff suggested that we see if some of his siblings wanted to go hiking I was really excited ... it seemed like such a fun, outdoorsy sort of bonding thing to do (very different from my typical Black Friday shopping).

Wow. Did I underestimate just how "outdoorsy" this was all going to be.

Several people mentioned that it was a hard hike and that there was a "small" (please note the "" there ... because MULTIPLE people used the word small ... it was a conspiracy I'm certain of it) part where you had hold on to a chain. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal, especially since Jeff had hiked it before ... really he would tell me if it were that bad, right? Wrong. He knew I wouldn't do it if I knew the truth (and he also added some nonsense about how he knew I could, blah-blah-blah I stopped listening at a certain point in that conversation because I was trying to stay alive on a mountain).

Anyone who knows me should know that I like a good hike, but I couldn't really be considered a seriously or daring hiker. Or really interested in anything much past the two to three mile mark. So Angel's Landing was a bit of a stretch.
The view from the bottom
It all started out fun. We were hiking along. It was steep and there were a lot of switchbacks, but nothing terrible ... it was a picture perfect day and I was happy to be outside.
Just starting out
The whole gang on the way up
The switchbacks
Then we hit the chains. The chain part is actually not "small" at all. It is a HALF MILE LONG.
The longest "half mile" EVER.
And you need the chains for a reason. They weren't exactly there for decoration.
Please notice the grimace
Are we having fun yet?
I have never, ever, ever been so terrified in my entire life. I was crying most of the way up. While I'm not super outdoorsy I wouldn't say I'm a wuss either. Until I met Angel's Landing. I seemed to be the only one who thought it was so scary (with good reason ... several people have died in the last few years hiking it).

I was grateful Jeff and one of my brothers-in-law were super helpful getting me up (I was happy to stop at multiple different points, but like an idiot, kept going) and back down.

The view was pretty, but I'll be honest. I was still so scared (we were about 5200 feet up at this point) that I wasn't that impressed.
The last part you climb just before the summit
Finally the top!
And maybe a real smile?!
And you know how they say the way down is way easier. They lied. It isn't.
Heading back down. Don't be fooled,
I was only smiling because I was sitting down.
I was terrified.


But I did it! So did everyone else, but they weren't scared so it doesn't really count.

One lady we met on the really-narrow trail told Jeff she hopes I don't divorce him after it was all said and done. Clearly everyone could tell things were going really well.

Jeff took lots of pictures to prove I did it. Please notice my pained smile. Or lack thereof :)!

6 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh, I can only handle hiking if it is a level trail... that looks awfully horrible. I would have cried too, and sat down and waited for them to go up and come back down to get me. So props to you, at least you finished it!! :)

Carolyn said...

I laughed at your 'grimace' picture! I would have been terrified, too. There is a reason I don't do things like that, I'm too scared! Plus now that I have kids, well I feel all sorts of non-adventurous :). But you did it! amazing!

Jake and Megan said...

hahaha I was really surprised when you mentioned in your earlier post about hiking Angel's Landing. I have never done it but I had heard of it so I was a little (a lot)shocked that you had done it. Now I know why you did it. Shame on Jeff. Congrats though! I think it's awesome. So glad you survived!

Janey - UtValleyFoodie said...

Zion is one my veryveryvery fave places. Lots of great memories. But lemme tell ya, I've never been up the chain-part of Angel's Landing, NEVER EVER!! Props to you, because both times I've been on that hike, I waited at the look out point just before the chains. Both times I was perfectly content to wait & enjoy the scenery from that level, lol.

Tamsin North said...

Well, that answers that one for me: Angel's Landing is on my naughty list! I am terrified of heights to the point that my knees stop functioning. So - no.

Good for you, though! Very impressive :)

Anonymous said...

Whoa! That looks intense! Way to go!