Friday, September 25, 2009

Deep in the heart of Texas ...

This last weekend I went to Texas to visit my best friend from college, Yissel, her hubby Matt and their brand-new bundle of sweetness Levi. We had SO much fun!! We chatted and caught up, oohed and ahhed over Levi and all of his cute squishy-ness and shopped! It is one of those times where the soul gets rejuvenated ... there is just nothing like a best girlfriend!

One of my very favorite parts was chatting with her about this upcoming life change. Since she just had Levi two and a half months ago she very vividly remembers this phase and we think a LOT a like, so I started to feel more normal.

She took me shopping for her version of "maternity" clothes and we giggled over stuffing my shirts, cheered for jeans that still button (yes I bought them!), were grossed out by the acutal maternity store that smelled weird ... and then of course admired cute baby clothes.

And the best part? She let me be a part of Levi's life for those few days. I didn't just admire him ... I helped feed him, burp him, soothed him when he cried, held him when he slept and helped give him a bath! Now I know all of these things are very minor in the grand scheme of what will be coming our way with our own litte one, but it made the biggest difference to me. I felt so ... capable. She taught me without making it seem like she was teaching and showing me that if she can do it so can I. She dispensed her best "experience" on me and before I left gave me two of the books she thought were most helpful. She was so thoughtful and knowing me and how I was feeling gave the best thing she could ... a little more confidence and excitment all at the same time.

No one could have asked for a more fun trip, or for a more thoughtful friend. I just hope I can be a mommy like her ... beautiful, smart and confident!!

Thanks for a fabulous weekend, Yissel ... I miss you guys already!

1 comment:

Yissel said...

We totally miss you. I was just going through my pictures at BYU and found one of us with our hair in pigtails and crazy amounts of makeup. Life was so much fun and it has only gotten better. You are going to totally rock as a mommy and I can't wait to meet your little one. Best of luck to you and Jeff. See you in February!
yiz