Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Book Club

Just about three years ago I was about to have a baby ... and decided I needed a hobby (clearly I had never had children before if I thought that even having one and working part-time I might get bored). So I started a book club. I love to read. LOVE to read - it's really the only thing I do that could be considered a hobby. I had a handful of women I was friends or acquaintances who lived locally, and we invited a few girls I didn't know well.

We started meeting monthly and little by little our friendships started growing. And I realized that in so many ways that before them I really didn't know what having strong women for friends really meant. This isn't meant to offend my high school and college friends - they are amazing too - and we went through a lot together. But these women? They have taught me so many things, and continue to each time I am around them (which, we might still only meet monthly, but I talk to and see most of them regularly).  

And with the exception of only one other friend who isn't a book clubber (she don't like to read. Seriously - that isn't a joke), and my family, these women are my closest friends and confidants. They are the people I trust with anything and everything (well, as much of everything that I share).

They have taught me, and remind me frequently that I am strong. And capable. That I can do hard things. 

They have taught me about motherhood. And when I was freaking out about having two kids, they were where I turned. They gave food, comfort, chocolate, a baby shower, and have made me laugh. And they check in with me all the time - sometimes we need the reminder that we are not alone. Because lets be honest - being a mom is different that being a dad, so somethings only other moms understand.

They love my children. And are the people I trust with my children (and I assure you, my trust isn't easily won). 

They helped Jeff throw me a 30th birthday party.

They have exchanged recipes, ideas and some pretty funny (and possibly risque) stories.

They have challenged me and encouraged me to read things other than what I normally would. And taught me the difference between Sci-Fi and Fantasy. Neither of which I had ever read before (with the exception of Harry Potter). 

There are so many more things ... but ultimately they know me and still love me. For who I am.

Last night we had book club... three years later most of our core group is still meeting every month. And as I sat there looking around the room I couldn't help but think about what each of those women (and the few that couldn't make it) mean to me now. As Jeff put it "book club is sacred" ... couldn't have said it better myself. 

3 comments:

Janey - UtValleyFoodie said...

I was sad to miss out, on the last two!! And thanks for inviting me when you did. I was skeptical, and now it's one of my most favorite things I more than look forward to, and I know it's because of all the great gals!

Kristen said...

Yes, book club is totally sacred. That's why when Eric travels on book club days, he knows he's in big trouble, haha!
Loved this post. So true - I've met all you amazing women and I'm glad we'll be friends (hopefully) the rest of our lives!!

Tamsin North said...

Book club is sacred for us too. In fact, Nick is as protective of it as I am because he knows how much I love a night out with the ladies. Even Espen knows that you don't mess with Mama's book club! :)