Thursday, January 26, 2012

Sweet is the Peace....

So far this year has felt like a whirlwind ... of activity, decisions and a few little trials in there as well. Then a couple of days ago I found a reason to pause and step back a minute to reflect. And to think about how blessed we really are.

We were putting Landon to bed and we asked if he wanted to say the prayer that night. Up until then he has always said no (probably because he didn't know exactly what we were asking him) but that night he said yes. And as he repeated what Jeff said so sweetly that I just sat there holding him as tight as I could. In that moment all was right in the world. What more did we possibly need that we had right then?

Who is this little person I have been entrusted with? I never cease to be amazed by the things he teaches me. Every time we get in the car he starts asking if we can listen to "Sunbeam" or "Temple" on the Primary CD. I'll be honest, sometimes I just want to listen to the radio. But my testimony of good music has grown so much from those CDs ... they have made many a negative moment in the car a good one and have soothed feelings (all of ours) in ways I never could have on my own.

Last night Jeff and I were preparing my Primary lesson for this week. We are studying the story of Lehi's family and the Liahona. Can I just tell you - I hate not knowing the future? I struggle so much with just having the faith to move forward and trust that everything will work out the way it is supposed to. It's a control issue thing. One of the scriptures we are reading as part of the lesson is Proverbs 3:5-6:

"Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths."

I turned and looked at Jeff and said "this lesson is for me, not those kids" and again, I was grateful. It's in those little moments, when I am being challenged, or when my faith is being tested ... or when I am asked to just believe and not rely on my own understanding when my testimony grows and I am reminded of the sweetness of the gospel. Because He doesn't leave us to figure it out on our own. Even though I am being asked to test my faith a bit, he has given me something to remind me that I will not be left alone ... and to just trust a bit longer.

1 comment:

Tamara said...

Thanks for the sweet post Ari. I miss you guys!