Monday, March 2, 2015

A Farewell to Primary (for now...)

A couple of Sundays ago the Primary Presidency I was serving in was released. It's funny ... being in any presidency is a lot of work, but I was so sad to know our time had come to a close! (I at least had the dignity to wait until I got in the car to cry, at which point I completely broke down.) 

I love being in Primary, and for more than 5-ish years most of my time has been spent in there. I love working with the children, and I love the people I have served with and gotten to be close friends with as a result.

But mostly? I'll miss Landon. 

I was in there when he was a newly-minted Sunbeam, and I've watched as he's grown into a very grown-up CTR 4. I love watching his face as he learns, and I LOVE listening to him sing (and I assure you ... it's noticeable!). It's so much fun to see him grow and build his testimony. He tries so, so hard to be reverent ... it would kill me each time I had to pick other kids for things because he was trying so hard. So I'd still pick him as much as I could. I love watching his little hand shoot up in the air to answer a question during sharing time.

We knew we were being released a week before it happened, and so (selfishly) I requested that he be the spotlight for the week. And I soaked up watching him beam up at the front of the room.

One day, he'll think he's much too grown up for Primary. He'll be ready to move on (understandably). But I had to record this, so we would both always remember how sweet this time was. How much I learned being around him and his friends. How much he loved being in Primary and learning about the gospel there. And when he is in Young Men's and beyond I hope he looks back on what he learned and uses that as his gospel foundation.

I know I'll still get to sub, and help with talks and such, but it isn't the same as being in there every week. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for a Primary calling when Liam gets to Primary, so I can enjoy watching both of them!

And now, I will happily serve in Young Women's, and get to know a cool group of girls, who I'm certain can teach me so much.

No comments: